View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 08:45 PM   #94
72cs20

Re: Project daily drivable 62 C20

It has been 6 or 7 weeks since the last update, so here we go.

First an important note - A member on this forum, RSK0069, generously donated the transmission and all the parking brake parts I needed to re-assemble mine with the correct parts. Thanks again Ryan!

I've been trying make a big push to finish this phase of the project and get the truck road worthy. Got quite a few things crossed off the list.

The biggest of these was the parking brake. My truck has the brake mounted on the back of the stock 4 speed. My original brake assembly had a couple of key parts missing which allowed the brake band to go badly out of adjustment. This caused the band to contact the drum at the two O'clock position and wear through the friction material and into the metal of the band.
Pic of damage -
Name:  brake band 1.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  36.7 KB

The important item missing from my brake assembly was the " anchor bolt ". Aside from " anchoring " the left side of the band to the transmission, the anchor bolt provides side to side adjustment for the band. The right side of the brake assembly has a bolt to adjust the top half of the band up or down. Another larger J-bolt adjusts the lower half up or down.
Pic of the anchor bolt. Located to the left of the word " Top ". A safety wire is installed through the bolt head after final adjustment.
Name:  brake2.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  21.3 KB

Here is a pic of right side -
Name:  brake3.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  30.0 KB

Added to the list of endless snowballs was the AC vent housing interfered with the full movement of the brake lever and tranny shifter. Three inches had to be removed from the middle of the lever and the release rod.
Name:  brake lever.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  110.1 KB

And the newly bent shifter. This shifter is from Ryan's transmission. Mine had some odd rubber coating on it and wouldn't have taken well to the torch.
Name:  brake4.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  96.2 KB