View Single Post
Old 05-04-2014, 01:53 AM   #92
84chevyguyid

Re: 86 chevy crew cab 12 valve swap

It seems like somewhere I read that it fits a ford or freightliner medium duty truck. I am finally coming to the end of a little project I been putting off for 6 months. Installing a crossmember for the front sway bar. I had to pull the front sheet metal off one of my parts suburbans so I could get to the crossmember. Turns out that the core support was in lots better shape than the one I been hacking on to get my dodge radiator and charge air cooler to fit in, so that part was good. I spent at least two evenings pulling the core support, torching out the crossmember and getting all the stinking rivets knocked out of everything. The burb is a half ton and so the frames are different as mine is a 1 ton Mine started out life as a 2 wheel drive so the crossmember it had didnt have provisions for the sway bar to mount to it. The burb crossmember was a little wider than the stock one so I cut it in half and started trying to figure out the best way to get it mounted up. After messing around with it for awhile, I decided I needed to fasten the swaybar to the springs then I could bolt the brackets to it and put the assembly up against the frame to mark holes. My spring brackets are homemade so they dont have the mounts for the sway bar to bolt to so I spotted a couple of nuts on them. I got some holes drilled for the brackets that go under the crossmember then I took each half of the crossmember and started fitting them to the frame and each other. When I got all the pieces set in place I noticed that the driver side of the crossmember sat back further than the pass side by maybe half an inch, I thinking wft?? I had to quit there for the night and spent half the night laying in bed trying to figure out where I screwed up to have the crossmember not be square. If the ends of the swaybar are located correctly over the axle then for some reason is my front axle in crooked?? The next day I ran to town and picked up some parts from a friend and he happened to have a 3/4 ton 4x4 frame sitting there and upon closer inspection the front crossmember is sitting crooked from the factory, like mine is. I dont know why they would do that but it was a big relief to see it. So this afternoon/evening I got the crossmember welded back together, cut out the notch for the dampner to fit it, and made a steering box brace to bolt to it (followed you guy's advise). Just need to pull it out and spend some time with the hand grinder and a can of black paint then I can stick it in for good. I still have to figure out what to do for mounts on the spring brackets for the ends of the swaybar to bolt to but I cant do much there until the front air bags show up and I see what it will take to make mounts for them too. My turbo elbow was on back order but it finally shipped out fri and the airbags havent been shipped yet either so I guess they must not be in stock either. I guess the next project is getting yet another core support hacked up to fit the dodge cooling stuff.
Attached Images

84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote