Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2021, 02:49 PM   #1062
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Update - Flush Mount License Plate Box with Hidden Hitch

Well I have a rough mock-up of it. Still need to clean up my cuts around the trailer hitch hole. But it works. I'm happy with it. I will need an extended hitch receiver. And I am still deciding whether to use the stock style license plate light or go with the lights that came with kit(lights you see in my pics). It works great. There is plenty of room for plate to flip up and see/access the hitch to install the receiver.

One thing I am disappointed in however, is HartFab sells this box and I never found it when searching for a "license plate box for 67-72" on the web. He is selling same box with very little difference. And it's only $75 compared to the $99 at brotherstrucks. I would rather buy from a local member on here to support them.

https://hart-fab.com/products/67-72-...ense-plate-box

3 main steps I did to modify this box:

#1 = Drilled new holes for flip bracket. They are a little wider than stock holes for license plate.
#2 = Cut access hole in box for hitch receiver to insert.
#3 = Had to cut the 2 top mount bumper license box holes off so the flip kit would swing up far enough for access.

If you wanted to modify a stock box you probably only need to add material to the sides of box to raise it up behind bumper and drill 2 side holes for mounting. You can keep your OE license plate light assembly. Rest of my steps would still apply unless your not doing the hidden hitch.

My angle with camera is bad here, not centered, but again I do need to finalize these cuts and spray a little paint to complete. I was cutting small amounts at a time till I get it where I want it. OH, and the box does not lose any stability with this cut. Not enough to make any difference anyway. The box doesn't do anything but hold the license plate anyway.

Not sure if I am going to use these lights from the kit, but they are just tucked under the plate for now. Later pics show them working.

Here you can see the tabs I have cut off of bumper so the plate swings out far enough. It still locks out for ease of use too which is awesome.

Here is a short receiver installed. The plate will fold down completely with receiver installed I just didn't take a pic of this. With an extended receiver I will be able to flip the receiver upside down since the truck is so low. Keep the trailer up high enough.

Back of box view. You can tell here how the stock light lamp would still work on top if you want to go that route.

Few extra pics. Some I took as it started to get dark so lighting was temporarily installed to see how the kit lights work.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote