View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 11:48 AM   #22
SRT8-X

Re: '69 C10 327 SBC Off Idle Stumble / Misfire Help - I feel like I've tried EVERYTHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Ok I'll weigh in with a possibility....you might not be getting full needed voltage to the HEI/coil (equivalent) at lower/idle speeds, noting that you list an HEI unit as the distributor.
If you aren't....then the engine will run like it misses at lower speeds and can be hard to start.
Anything above 2500-2800 rpm starts to smooth things out as the alternator puts out more voltage to compensate for the low end, low speed voltage deficiency.

You can test this by running a 'hot' 12 volt wire direct from the battery to your hei or coil....then start up the truck and see how it runs.
This will essentially bypass any original wiring that might be deficient or failing to provide the voltage lower down.

All good
Coley
Coley, good suggestions, I'll check this out. I had some electrical issues with the original harness last year which prompted me to rewire the complete truck with Painless Wiring's chassis kit so every wire on the truck is new, including homemade custom heavy braided stainless grounding straps in over a dozen locations.

My dad was an electrician and gear head so I know all about bad grounds and the issues they can cause in 12V systems. All the wiring has been installed meticulously and very clean but there still could be an issue with the coil wire when it comes through the Painless bulkhead. With that said, when I first set up the wiring harness, I ran a return 8 gauge wire "loop" per the instructions if running a 65amp + alternator but then removed it with some modifications as I had a parasitic draw that kept running the battery down. Not sure if the two were related but it has not had any issues since with the battery since.

I'll try running a dedicated wire from the battery to the coil direct and see if that helps. Thanks again for the suggestion.
2000 JEEP Cherokee Sport XJ 4x4 4.0/4A (RUBY, son #2)
2013 VW GTI Driver's Edition 1.8T/6A (GRAU GEIST, son #1)
2016 BMW X5 xDrive50i MSport 4.4L N63/8A (SCHNEEWITTCHEN)
SRT8-X is offline   Reply With Quote