View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #153
Beelzeburb
Devil's in the Details

Beelzeburb: Part 42

I have actually been driving the Suburban, and it has been really nice to use it as intended. Still takes a little acclimatization changing over to the large steering wheel and extra throw when making turns.

I still had one or two little wiring issues to sort out, so I disabled the Suburban for a couple of days. The list included: horn sounding while turning (I unplugged the horn right after this started), adding in a neutral safety switch and properly wiring up some indicator lights instead of the two temporary ones dangling about beneath the dash.

I assumed that the horn issue was caused by my steering column not being well supported down near the lower bearing. I'd lost the large spring and washer meant to hold it up years ago. Instead I found a big washer in my stash-o-washers and cut a Nissan L28 outer valve spring in half. Now the lower column bearing will be supported.

While the tilt column was out, I used my old steering column as a template and marked where to cut a new hole for the neutral safety switch. Once the rectangular hole was excised and two screw holes drilled, I welded a small sheet metal tab to the inner tube and buttoned it all up. Now I have the 1970 NSS preventing in-gear starts and switching the reverse lights. The white plastic switch is a 1988 style Park/Neutral position switch I modified to fit and secured with a custom bracket some time back so that the engine computer knows when the transmission is in gear.

Lastly, I added four indicator lights to the dash cluster.

Left to right we have a brake indicator, SES, high beam indicator and alternator/battery warning indicator. They're 5/16" lights (non LED) from Painless Performance. This is a compromise solution until I some day build my ideal transmission temperature and indicator light all-in-one gauge for the center hole. I'll also add two more eventually, a 4WD indicator and cruise control light.