View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 10:24 PM   #216
joedoh

Re: 1941 project fenix

thanks, I wish this one would have gone faster, seems like I spent an awful lot of time this year using my days off for stuff my wife wants to do, but hey, sometimes you are the windshield and sometimes the bug.

I have said a few times the guy I bought the truck from was in the middle of installing a new/used column. the bottom bearing seemed loose, there are three slots that I thought engaged the plastic bearing retainer but there were no tabs on it, it kept sliding out. I thought that a bit weird so I looked at columns online and found their is a cup and wire clip that should be present, but was not. I called around to the auto parts stores and no one had it in stock, the dealer wanted 77 bucks for the two parts.

It occurred to me that lots of jeeps used this exact same steering column, in wranglers and cherokees in the 90s, so maybe a jeep shop would have this part. I called the local jeepers and explained what I was looking for, of course they had it in stock (I said 1992 cherokee), new bearing included for 24 bucks! here is the part number if anyone needs it

I went to install just the two pieces I was missing but for giggles pulled off the original "bearing", quoted because it is just slick plastic and two rubber seals.

it looked pretty used and well, I had the new parts already, so

lock nuts relocked. maybe I can get the front end put on tomorrow.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote