View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #456
kensblue64

Re: faux-tina paint jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensblue64 View Post
BEWARE !! BEFORE anyone tries this technique, you are one your own !!!! This has worked well for me, but your results may not turn out to your liking !!!
I will not assume any liability for your results.
ONLY use this process if you present paint work is not satisfactory to you, as there is no going back.

Lightly scuff up the panel with 600 grit sandpaper, dry sand the entire panel (no water) with heavier pressure on areas that would normally rust first, do not wipe down, only gently blow off the excess with an air gun from about 4 feet away, this will clean off most of the dust, leaving some dust to get integrated into the upcoming paint to give somewhat of a texture like a light rust.

Then lightly mist the entire panel with lacquer thinner from a spray bottle, let it dry on the panel

Time spent so far on a complete bedside will 15 minutes tops !

Next stand about 2 1/2 to 3 feet away, and lightly mist on a very , very faint coat, like a guide coat, of flat black paint, remember only a very light coat, so it will dry almost on contact.

This should only take 3 minutes or less.
Now you are almost done with the panel and you have less 20 minutes and than 75 cents invested.

Now the MAGIC

Rustolium spray paint (Aged Metallic rust) in a spray can # 285072.
They make a few similar shades, but the Metallic Rust color looks best.

Before you spray the rustolium, do not shake the can, turn upside down, and press the button about 10 tp 15 seconds, to release some of the propellent, and thinner from the can.

I know what you are thinking, "won't that make the paint partially clog up the nozzle" well you would be right, but that is exactly what you want, to simulate natural rust. Also the spray nozzle on this Metallic Rust can, is not like the standard nozzle, it is really bad. you can never get a nice splatter free uneven coat if you try.
Actually the more it splatters from the can, the worse it gets, what is exactly what you want, so simulate a natural rust.

DO NOT SHAKE THE CAN at any time, spray the liquid rust onto the panel at various distances, to produce heavier coats on areas that would naturally rust the heaviest.
Go light at first, as you can go over an area again to apply more paint.
When the sputtering is worst, that is perfect to apply the paint.

This stage should cover the entire bedside in only 5 minutes, and use 1/4 to 1/2 of the can.

Let the panel dry, and the next day scuff lightly with a 3m pad, to flatten off some of the sheen.
MIST VERY LIGHTLY WITH LACQUER THINNER, let dry, and you are done.

Total time 25 minutes, with the total cost about $3.00 for half a can of paint.

Most of the sheen will flatten out in a few weeks in the sun.
You can do your entire truck for less than $50.

My liking is to spray the entire panel with a medium coat of rust paint, from about 2 feet away, so that most of the original color still shows underneath.
Next I go in closer about 1 foot away, to re-spray areas where natural rust would be heaviest.

Good luck

When I do my blue truck, I'll post a video.
This just keeps getting better.
As I said in a previous post I Plan to faux patina my crappy paint job, until I can buy new sheet metal to properly have my truck painted in a year or two.

I plan to permanently change the color of my truck from the current blue to Rally Red.
Previously I played around with the blue color, so I decided to actually use the rally red color, and see how it turns out.
Wow I am happy.
First I had a bunch of joist hangers left over from a backyard shed I built last summer, so I thought I would use them for my latest experiment.
I sprayed two coats of the red, and let it dry for about 2 hours, and then sprayed the "rust in a can" over the red, and let it dry overnight.
The next day I sanded it lightly with 1000 wet dry, and this is how it came out.
The pics with 2 hangers, show the original shiny red paint on top, and the finished result underneath.
Any comments would be welcome.
Attached Images

kensblue64 is offline   Reply With Quote