View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #128
Lugnutz65

Re: Complete T5 swap thread - one way to skin the cat

To Jocko and all who read this wonderful post.

A friendly word of warning, SOME OF THE POPULAR T5 INTERNET SITES ARE STILL FULL OF INACCURATE INFORMATION.

As for me, I'm totally sold on the idea of putting a T5 in my 1965 C10 with a 3.73 rear.
Yesterday, I went to the salvage yard and pulled a T5 from a 1989 GMC15. Info that I had from the internet confirmed that it had the gearing I wanted. Unfortunately, I've come to learn that the internet info is VERY UNRELIABLE when it comes to telling you what the gears inside are.

A majority of the websites said the tranny I had pulled had a 3.76 1st gear and a 0.72 OD gear. WRONG. Got it home, opened it up and spun the tailshaft a full turn and watched the input shaft turn a good bit more than 3/4 turn. So I actually have a 0.86 OD and that just will not be good enough for my 3.73 rear.

I can return the tranny and get a refund. I wasted some time but I got some experience and knowledge along the way. Just trying to help my fellow truck owners so they can be spared from the same frustration.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote