View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #11
chevyc10lover

Re: Old Air Products A/C Installation Review

great truck! i need a sistem like that i dont need the heater either.
here we have over 100°f at least 8 months a year...ill save $$ for this sistem .(dont tell my wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanuf2 View Post
After reading all posts about different A/C systems and their set up I decided to order the Hurricane set up from Old Air Products for my 67 GMC. It had a good reputation with users and I loved the electric control that fits right into the A/C control opening with out modification. I ordered the system to be installed on a smooth firewall, what they do is that the A/C and Heater lines from the evaporator instead of coming out from the back of the unit, they have them coming out to the side of the evaporator. This change created a very tight fit to install the evaporator under the dash. I had to hammer the inside firewall bump on the top right corner to fit the top A/C line into the evaporator. I am NOT USING THE HEATER on my install, this made the installation possible with the smooth firewall changes. I will not recommend this change to anyone that will use the heather and defrost. The A/C kit for a regular install thru the firewall has a mounting plate that will make the installation much easier, but I wanted a custom install and I paid the price. I also got the A/C compressor and alternator bracket from them and they fit great and have a clean engine look. (see photos).

The system is very complete and blows nice cold air, the control has an A/C bottom that you can not really see the light (on or off) during the day. Mine will need to be replaced because I will not stay on. The corner vents are really compact and look nice and elegant, the center vent is a stock looking type. The condenser and dryer with the pre-bet lines fit like a glove and the lines go into the engine bay right where the battery A/C line holder is located, if your battery tray does not have one, they provide a bracket with the kit.

After the install was completed I can point out the following tips:

1. Get the kit with the firewall plates if your going to use the heater and defrost.
2. The kit does not includes an evaporator fan, It is needed to keep the system cool until the engine fans kick in (mine has (2) electric fans).
3. Buy the system before paint and body work to cut all the openings in the cabin and firewall before paint, and also have the engine parts in place when placing the engine into the body.
4. Make sure to measure the water pump (long or short) to order the correct brackets, my mechanic made a mistake and I found out I had the wrong brackets after they were painted, now I have them listed on Ebay for sale, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182.

Overall a nice kit and easy install when ordered as is designed.
chevyc10lover is offline   Reply With Quote