View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #552
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I don't think you are missing anything. That block should make it plenty sturdy. That's all I was thinking about.

LockDoc
Oh good! There is also a yet to be mentioned (or photographed) doubler plate on the bottom of the floorboard.

I made an interesting discovery today on the WMB. Someone in the past appears to have started to install a set of square body second row seats. I first noticed that some of the holes I drilled to install the seat back hinge were already drilled through the front flange. There were a bunch of holes in the flange so I chalked it up as lucky.

Then once I had marked the holes for the center base I noticed there were two existing holes that matched the holes I had marked with the exception of being 3/4" closer to the center of the truck. (Photo #1 green lines point to the holes I need to drill) When I looked at the area where the outboard latches attach there were two holes on each side that matched 2 of the 3 holes for the latch. (Photo #2).

So my first thought was "Did I screw up my lay out?". But after remeasuring things were fine. So I thought maybe they had slid the seat to the drivers side 3/4 of an inch. That theory fell apart as the seat's loop for the upper latch won't clear the 4th door frame. So I went ahead and drilled the holes for the center base and bolted it on.

Next step was to drill and mount the latch on the passenger side. To get the spacing I measured the seat base. There were easy to see rubber marks on it. I came up with 16.5 inches. Long story short the passenger side latch bolted right to the existing holes perfectly. I ran out of time to check the driver's side but I'm hoping. With the center being offset the bumper would have missed the seat base on my set of seats. There maybe different seat dimensions over the years or some PO just drilled it wrong.
The funny thing is other than the parts on the step there doesn't seem to have been any other holes drilled for the rest to the seats. Maybe they gave up after things didn't fit right who knows. I'm just glad for the free holes at this point.

I got some side plates made for the upper latches. ( Photo #3 & 4) I went with 14 guage but I may regret not using 12 guage. My concern at the time was not spacing the chrome trim for the side panels too far out. For which the 14 guage is working well, but I may have to put a stiffener behind each side. Once things are all together I will be able to make that call.
Last photo is the end of day, hinge installed, and two mounts in.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote