View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 10:25 PM   #44
Ekliptix

Re: My 4/6" ECE lowering install thread - 72 Shorty

Ok, so the rear is done except for centering the diff using the adjustable panhard bar after I get the front done.

After jmking9 posted photos of his truck with this kit I asked if he used the stock kit since the stance looked so good. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=613874 He told me he replaced the front 1.5" drop springs with 2" drop springs ECE makes, I contacted ECE and they agreed to swap the ones in my kit (1.5" drop) for 2" if I paid the shipping. Good enough. So, it'll be about 10 days or so until I get the 2" front springs in the mail.

Here are some notes about the rest of the rear install.

Rear passenger side done. Will adjust the panhard bar (threaded bar) to center the suspension under the truck. It looks like I'll have to remove the adjustable end of the panhard bar from it's current mount point, adjust it then bolt the end back in. Fyi, the lower position hole it's in is for 6" drops. The upper one is for 5" drops, according to the instructions. The round headed bolt in this photo connecting the stock to the lower mount was a pain to hold in place while I torqued the other side. With a crescent wrench I happened to have opened wide open, I was just able to hold the rounded bolt head in place.

I'm a little concerned about the angle on the rear lower shocks with the bracket. I'll see how it looks once I make sure the suspension is centered then contact ECE after if it still looks this skewed.

One comment is that the lower bolts could be a little longer. I believe I torqued this up a little more after the photo, but still...Also there were no details in the instructions on where to place the metal spacer in the photo, inside or outside the shock. It would have been helpful, but I searched and found some photos on google.

The original mounting point for the stock panhard bar is just to the passenger side of the rear diff. After you remove the original panhard bar, you're left with a thick bolt sticking out towards the rear of the truck that interferes with installing the aftermarker panhard bar. Looking at how this bolt went through the diff frame, I didn't want to try to unthread it as I was worried it was supporting the diff housing somehow so I just sawed it off. Since then, I contacted ECE and they say I can remove it without issue (need to hammer it out). I would have appreciated this info in the instructions but I forgive them a little for agreeing to exchange the front coils for lower ones.

Driver side.

Full view

Passenger side bolted up. Another gripe about the mediocre instructions is ECE didn't say how much to torque the rear coils to the frame. Contacting them, it's 70ft-lbs if you're wondering. You can see the small black spacer included to go under the axel cup. This is included to match the new passenger side panhard bracket that adds the same space. Free extra 1/8" lowering!

New rear panhard bar installed but awaiting tightening until front is done. Grease included in kit. There's a slight angle on this bar so if you install the non adjustable head of the bar the wrong way, the other end on the passenger side won't line up with the mount on the passenger side. The instructions mentioned this. I installed it wrong on the first go then flipped it. Btw, it may take some pounding with a rubber sledge to get the panhard head into the driver side bracket.

Back on the ground, I checked out how much space there was from the bump stops and axel.
Driver side.

Passenger side (more space).

Truck photos (just rear is done so far).

It has a ways to go before it's the lowest ride in the house.

So, is it low enough in the rear? I'll comment after I see it with the font lowered. If the stance is like jmking9's, I'll be happy.

For measurements, the rear is 2-3/4" lower then before. Oddly, the rear passenger side is still slightly higher (3/8") then the driver side, just like before the install. Tire pressure, old truck-syndrome, ?

I'll have more to report when I get my 2" front springs back from ECE in ~10 days.

Last edited by Ekliptix; 01-31-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote