View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 08:56 PM   #7
mr48chev

Re: what rear axle/suspension set up 55-59

A few things that may affect things are:

Budget as previously mentioned. We have all build budget levels in this group and most of us try to not automatically assume that someone has a large one and throw out pie in the sky high dollar ideas unless those are requested or the OP makes it known that they have a high budget level.

Axle choice:
Should match the front end's lug bolt pattern without spendy mods if Possible.
Being the correct width for the wheel and tire choice without narrowing is a plus.
having the desired gear ratio without changing gears is a big plus along with a posi or locker if you want it.
All that meaning that you are better off to hunt down and maybe pay a few bucks for a rear that fits those criterias rather than get a bargain rear end and then have to spend money to change things around. I've got an email out to a machine shop now to see about the cost of narrowing a nine inch Ford Rear to fit under my 48. That work will probably cost more than the right width and gear ratio Posi rear out of a late 70's or even into the 80's Camaro or Firebird.

Rear suspension, again go with what you really want that fits the budget.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote