View Single Post
Old 09-05-2002, 07:30 PM   #7
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seanh71
thats kinda what i was looking for, except i want to not have all the elec crap, this is just kinda a "demo truck" so i can get some people to trust me to paint and shave their stuff, so i dont want to pu the money into the elec system, is there a way to mount the keyhole in the rear of cab too? or maybe just get a flush handle and put it in my doors? thanks
The problem is that all the mechanicals are inside the door. So to mount lock rods and door actuator rods in the back of the cab, you can't get them to actuate anything _inside_ the door. The only real solution to this dilemma (ASSuming you don't want to go electric) is to change the door catches out for some bear claw types or reverse them in the door jambs (as in the cam side that's in the door moves to the B-pillar and the larger catch side moves into the door. Then you can make rods to actuate the lock and open mechanisms.

But... that's about 300x the work of using electrics! If you're worried about not being able to get in, when you run your wires out of the door, also run a piece of 18 gauge stainless steel braided cable. You can run the cable through the firewall. Attach one end to the solenoid in the door and put a loop on the other end. If your electrics ever fail, just pop the hood and give the cable a tug and the door will pop open. Just tuck the cable away where it's not evident and you won't have to worry too much about somebody using it to break into your truck.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote