View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 02:26 PM   #63
Woodyboat

Re: Sparky's 1978 Silverado Build "Addiction"

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

One of the biggest remarks I got from my friends and family when I first enrolled in school was that they would ask me if I realized how old I was going to be when I graduated. I said that I would be exactly the same age as if I didn't even go.

The recession of 2008 really hit my business hard. Then, to make matters worse, my ex wife divorce raped me and left me with absolutely nothing in 2010. I was so broke that I qualified for the maximum Pell grant. Also Tennessee has the Hope Scholarships available. Between those and the other more specialized grants for my particular discipline, I was able to cruise through without any worries. If I had not done this, I would have been facing a very tough job market at a close to retirement age with no marketable skills except for what I got from my business. But that was virtually nil because every working guy without college has basically those same things to offer.

If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have gone of for my Master's. It's really not needed. It doesn't pay enough dividends in the job market to justify the additional costs and work. But it's at least nice to have since I've got it anyway.

As a side note, I was blown away by the amazing amount of attention I constantly got from young traditional female students who were just totally infatuated by a single silver fox like myself. Yeah, that felt GREAT! And that's all I'll say about that. LOL