View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #10
49 CHEVY

Re: 50' GMC 5 window, my first build

Yeah that's the same thing I was dealing with. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing it wrong and being a typical "noob".
I saw another member on here that built a custom rear frame section with a large step notch. He used 2x6 square tubing, and replaced everything from the rear of the cab back. I saved his thread on my computer so will have to look that up and reach out to him about it. I was curious about the dimensions of it, and how to locate the rear axle center line once the rear section is hacked off. I suppose I need to find a reference point somewhere on the frame close to where I will be cutting, and measure the current center line from that point. Then just make sure the new center point is that same distance.
Also, I was getting mixed answers on locating the front center line. The best advice I found was to bolt up the front fenders, stick the wheels in place (centered with fender), and stick a long rod from wheel center to opposite wheel center, and mark it. The problem is I don't yet have the wheels I will be using. Any tips on that?
Posted via Mobile Device
49 CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote