View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
sameyeam

Re: 72 Chevy K20 Wrecker restoration

Hey guys, Elliott and I did some work on the truck last night, had it up in the air and pretty much got the bed prepped to come off of the frame. I disconnected the taillight wiring and the pto chain, also disconnected the harness for the warning lights. As it turns out (which I should have known), grandpa did a pretty legit job of not hacking up the factory harness that makes the truck function as a truck. The warning lights and such were kept pretty separated which is good. I may not need a whole new harness after all. We started testing some mounting bolts to see if they would come loose and to my surprise they all have so that's a good sign. I also started paying attention to the frame to see if there are any serious spots of concern. I did notice one cross member in between the cab and the rear axle that had some bad rot so that will need to be addressed. Other than that the frame looks pretty good I think. There is some scale rust but nothing else that looks to be serious. I will know more once I can get it in some real light with the bed and the cab off. I have some pictures ill post later showing what I am talking about. I have also been doing some research on what to coat this frame with before putting the new cab on. Eastwood seems to have some good products that I think I wanna give a try. My plan going forward is to get the cab off and maybe the bed. Then wire wheel the frame and get it as clean as I can. Will probably end up putting new brake lines and fuel lines on then paint the cab with a frame treatment and paint then put the new rust free cab back on. I have some other chassis work I wanna do as there are some broken leafs and some damaged steering parts that I wanna fix. So mechanically this thing will come along faster than cosmetically as I think that is what is in the budget at the moment (I can do the work myself) and aside from a few broken parts I don't think there is much wrong. Pics to come tonight, thanks for following along
2007 Pontiac Vibe (daily)
sameyeam is offline   Reply With Quote