View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 12:06 PM   #4
nikwho

Re: How quick MIGHT my truck be in the quarter?

Thank you for playing along! I know that I'm asking an arbitrary question with infinite variables! It's like asking what a new golfer that's practiced a lot wI'll shoot in a round of golf... I am excited to find a baseline for the truck and start tweaking and tuning for improvements.

The Tucson drag strip is at about 3000 ft, though I've only driven the truck in the mountains @ 6,800 feet! There is still a LOT of tuning in the timing, the carb, suspension setup, etc. I was thinking about the same, between 300-325HP. I think that the truck is about 3,800 with me in it, based on stock weight, changes to aluminum wheels, lower profile front tires, alum radiator, alum intake, alum water pump, etc.

I have moved the fuel tank back, going to move the battery to the rear of that hehe truck, low. Already have everything for that.

My main questions, moreover than asking people to make arbitrary guesses on 1/4 mile times, is this:

What should I prioritize getting done on the truck over the next couple of weeks?

My thoughts were:
- drive shafts safety loop
- General safety checks of nuts and bolt's
- Radiator over flow catch bottle
- mount new slicks on new wheels
- 3 point seat belts
- POSSIBLY swap out the current 10 bolt axle with a 12 bolt with 4.10 gears. I would probably either buy a mini locker for it OR maybe make a Lincoln locker our of the factory spider gears ONLY for that event. I know that it's not the smart way to do the wrong thing, but thought that with my current limitations on time, it would work for the weekend on the truck that I'm going the be trailering to the strip. It's a fun driver, but the strip is 4 hours away from my house, with lots of elevation change! I'll leave my house @ 6,800', drive through Phoenix @ 1,000', then end up at the strip @ 3,000'. Thinking that with only 200 miles on the new engine and transmission, combined with the likelihood of breaking stuff at the track, it'd be wise to trailer.

Thanks for entertaining my rambling! I'm really excited for my first pass on a drag strip. I
Nik