View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 01:20 AM   #21
swamp rat

Re: problems running

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic350 View Post
so ive swapped out the fuel filter and my tank is getting near empty and i thought that my truck was running better but she died out again on me today. looks like it might actually be the fuel pump. so gonna get a new one to put in and see if that fixes it
When my trucks gauge is near empty the tank IS empty, are you sure your even getting gas to the fuel pump and into the carb?

Take the hose off the fuel pump that feeds the carb and put on a length of hose and point it to where it go's into a container, start cranking the engine and make sure your getting gas into the container, if not the problem is before the pump, maybe the pre filter sock inside the tank. if your getting gas the problem is after the pump.

If you know the fuel pump pumps ok then the next time it starts to die don't try to keep it running, just let it die, Then take off the air cleaner and see if by moving the throttle it squirts gas into the primaries, if not its a supply problem, needle and seat float related, or between the carb and fuel pump.

You mentioned that it dribbled? If it doesn't squirt then you found part of the problem. If it does squirt it would point to dirt in both the idle circuit and main jets, they rely on the vacuum to pull the fuel into the primary's or secondary's, if there is dirt in there the orifices will get plugged. My bet says that you just need to pull the carb apart and clean it up because you have a lot of crap inside plugging it up. I don't know if your engine is stock or built but a 750 Holley may be a little too big.

Got another question for you to think about, when it dies have you checked for good hot spark? just because you changed the plugs and wires doesn't mean you have good spark, if your still running points and condenser they could be in need of changing, and if the coil is getting hot it could create enough heat to generate enough resistance to weaken the spark as well, while your there look for any possible frayed wires running to the coil.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote