View Single Post
Old 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM   #182
SCOTI

Re: 65 Fairlane pro-touring build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
At this point, it was time to use the metal wheel of death to remove the section of quarter panel I'm replacing. That part went smoothly enough. I hardly ever have problems deconstructing stuff. Putting it all back together is where the stupid starts. After trimming the replacement panel to allow room for final fitment, I clamped it in place. The wheelhouse arch matched up pretty well, but I have a major hiccup with the body lines. The upper body line is about 5/8" too high as you can see in the photo below. I've been pondering the situation and I'll have to pack up the panel and head down to my buddy Keith's place and use the English wheel to flatten out the existing line and then use an 8' brake to relocate the line. I can't believe they were that far off when they put the existing line in. Fortunately, I have the resources to be able to recover from a setback like this, but not everyone is.
Would it not work to section the difference between where the body line 'is' vs 'should be' & just add material back to the top (vs removing a body line & then re-creating another on the patch piece)?

Not sure which would be more work though (?).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote