View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #38
ChevyTech

Re: 91 c1500 stutter on acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass66ss View Post
It is not throwing any cel at all.
It would be a good idea to check it for codes anyway.

Quote:
….Other than loose components causing a "knock", is there anything else that could cause the timing to retard like this?
Underhood wiring routing of the harness by and to the knock sensor can cause false knock counts.

Quote:
Do you think the ECM could be bad again?
I think that is a low probability.

Quote:
I read somewhere that the battery should be disconnected each time you plug in/unplug the bypass wire. Is this correct?
When you unplug the set timing wire a trouble code 42 gets set. Disconnecting the battery is one way of clearing the code. I would just pull the ECM fuses to clear the code. Pulling fuses has less risk to the ECM then disconnecting the battery.

Quote:
Could this short out the ECM? Thanks again for your help!!!
You are welcome.
Disconnecting the battery does have a small risk of damaging the ECM. If you forget the key on and disconnect the battery the risk is significantly higher of doing ECM damage.

I read the thread again and you have covered most things that can be a problem. Looking at the data with a scan tool would be a good idea but most of the time it takes somebody with experience to recognize the problem with the readings.

Some people have used WinALDL and posted there results on the message boards and I have been able to identify problems.

Online it can be very hard to find a difficult problem. If you were my next door neighbor it would make it much easier.

Consider double checking some of the things you have ruled out along the way.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote