View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Re: Any farmers / tractor people here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Bush hogs are dangerous when running without safety shields in place ,Many injuries and deaths have occurred from becoming caught in a turning pto shaft same thing for other attachments that use a pto shaft to operate tillers, hay bailers, manure spreaders ...

. Loader accidents happen all the time when the user is trying to carry a loaded bucket in a high position or across a grade and the machine will tumble, That's one of the reasons I have foam filled front tires.....
Oh ok. I took your post to mean the loader and bush hog were a dangerous combination. I know how to safely operate a tractor on a farm. I grew up on a farm running Jubilee/8N/9Ns and 2cyl JDs. In the late-70s I lived with a girlfriend who ran a horse farm and they had a little big JD w/loader and the guy who did the hay, who I helped out with had a big ole Oliver just before they merged with White. That thing had an over/under trans and was scary fast. I have friend up home with a farm I often throw a hand in with. Strictly old IH... Ms and Hs.

That Case IH has foamed front tires and never messed with the rears. Not sure what they were filled with. That place was really hilly, though. If you weren't careful clearing snow on the lane to the house the tractor could run away. It happened to the guy who did the bush hogging. He also rolled the old tractor before this one. I wish I could have gotten that one when the lady passed on, but they wanted to include it in the sale of the farm. I wish I could have bought the farm!
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote