View Single Post
Old 06-23-2020, 08:51 AM   #12
dsraven

Re: A few general questions about my project

-check with the manufacturer on what type of fluid to use in the rack and ask specifically if the GM type will work with the components in the rack. I usually recommend power steering fluid as opposed to atf just because it is specifically made for steering systems. lots of guys would simply fill it up and hope for the best, lol. type F was made more for transmissions that use bronze in their friction clutch plates.
-steering shaft-larger DD will help with really off angle set ups that are long, too make them less flexible and less apt to bind without a support bearing. a fairly straight shot to the rack should be fine with the smaller DD shaft. I recommend a slip shaft due to collapsibility in a front end collision, otherwise it is a spear in front of your chest.
-I recommend dexcool because it is a long life coolant and flushing coolant is not on everybody's to do list. the longer the coolant is left in the system the more chance the PH level changes and it becomes acidic. I have seen old rusty coolant eat a hole in an aluminum water pump housing.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote