View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 12:02 AM   #21
Root2812

Re: A few general questions about my project

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
I'm not sure how you'll have to route your shafts ...most of the ADs have to use more than 2 joints to go from a rack, around the engine, and to the column...if its needed be sure to use a support for the DD shaft...3/4" heim joints work well..
It wont matter which way you do the DD shaft..if your cramped for space I would use the 3/4 on the bottom end...
Yep I have to do 2 shafts and a heim in the middle. I was thinking I’d use the collapsible shaft between the column and middle joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
I'm no expert and these are just my opinions

Question 1: I used the power steering fluid that's recommended for the pump and I haven't had any issues. The problem I had was with pressure. The GM pump flows too much for the Ford rack. First I installed the Borgeson kit https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=133
Then I tried a flow reducer like this: https://www.ebay.com/i/282971970150?...xoCGC4QAvD_BwE

I think the flow reducer helped more than the pressure reducer but I have seen other people that were happy with the Borgeson.

Question 2: A 3/4" shaft is plenty big. I would say use the slip style shaft if you're able to fit it. I had to use 2 joints to make mine fit around the headers. Since it's 2 pieces I don't have the slip style.

Question 3 : I was also told to just use the green antifreeze by my radiator supplier for the same reason you mentioned.
Thanks for the input. I haven’t installed my borgeson pressure reducer kit yet. I need to rent a pulley remover so I can get an impact on the nut to remove the valve. The valve is on the side half way behind the pulley and I tried using a box end with no luck, can’t get a socket on there.

I will also have two pieces in my steering shaft. It looked like I could get away without the collapsible shaft because it would bend at the middle joint but for extra safety I think I’ll use one anyway.

I see your signature says you’re running LS and 4l60e. Did you use a stock frame or go s10?