View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #163
Beelzeburb
Devil's in the Details

Beelzeburb: Part 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg1010 View Post
Did you ever get those steelies mounted? We need pics!
I'd love to get some pics, but I still don't have tires for them, so the Wheel Vintiques steelies aren't on yet. Still running the chrome Dodge wheels and ancient BF Goodrich All Terrains for now.

I did finally figure out the brakes. It was something stupid and self inflicted. Somehow I'd hooked up three wheels on one circuit and the passenger side front all alone on the other. I did some rearranging and we bled the system for about the fourth or fifth time. Now it stops much more predictably and the pedal feels normal. It does lock up the right rear at the very end of the pedal throw in a panic stop. Before it was locking up the rears at about 3/4 throw, so it is much more confidence inspiring now.

Yesterday I tried out my new birthday present, a 10" adjustable drop hitch.

I don't have the trailer light connector wired up on the Suburban yet, so I only took the 16' car hauler around the block to reposition it. I did find a Tekonsha 2030 Mark 12 trailer brake controller in the box with my cruise control wiring, so I'll probably use it. Just need about 60' of wire and some circuit breakers.

Today I hopped in the Suburban to run into town and drop something off. I got as far as the end of the driveway when the steering wheel stopped doing any steering. I threw it in reverse and backed straight into the driveway again. I looked over all of the steering components and nothing was out of the ordinary. The box looked good, the rag joint was intact and tightened properly, the pitman arm, drag link, steering arm and tie rod all looked fine. Even the power steering fluid level was correct. I was finally able to see the problem by reaching through the window from outside and steering with one arm while stretching my neck and watching the steering components. I could see the pitman arm moving back and forth properly, but so was half of the leaf spring pack along with it.

The leaf spring u-bolts weren't clamping tight and the whole leaf pack had been moving back and forth until the center pin finally sheared. Very luckily it did this while I was moving at 3 mph and right in front of the house. I jacked up the frame and pulled the broken pieces out.

I had a couple spares so it went back together pretty quick. I torqued each of the leaf spring u-bolts on the whole vehicle to 130 ft-lbs (the rear ones were already pretty tight, but I guess somehow I hadn't done the front ones to more than about 50-60 ft-lbs) and now everything feels much firmer. The turning radius improved quite a bit, the steering wheel stays centered and overall the steering reacts much more quickly to any inputs. Together with the improvement of the brakes, it feels like driving a regular vehicle now. No slop or funny quirks any more.