View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 01:30 AM   #174
Beelzeburb
Devil's in the Details

Beelzeburb: Flexy Time

Someone moved the dirt and construction debris piles around at my suspension flex testing ground. Still, this time I brought along both the camera and a tape measure to gather some data and observations. Here's as much movement as this little dirt mound could muster:

I was able to get one rear tire pushed up pretty far into the wheelwell and 1 1/2” away from the plywood of the floor. On the compressed side, this left about 8” between the bottom of the frame and the new U-bolt plates (which look like nice big targets for some new bumpstops to hit).

I'm probably going to order a pair of the longer 11 1/4” Daystar Stinger bumpstops and make some sort of a mount that bolts to the side of the frame. As is plainly visible, the stock rear bumpstops aren't even close to being effective anymore. The rear tires do center nicely in the wheelwell under full stuff though. Nothing else seems to hang up, bind, restrict or limit at this degree of flex. As soon as the new wheels and tires are on, then I'll take it to another local area that I've got in mind to get some more thorough articulation testing accomplished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
The engine bay looks outstanding. Thats a lot of suspension work. Hope that caster angle doesn't come back to bite you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
Engine looks awesome! ride height looks awesome! your rear axle pinion angle looks the same as mine was. Didn't really have any issues, other than drive shaft was too long.

Thanks! As far as the caster angle, I'm still waffling about taking the shims out or changing them for some less angled ones, but it does seem to be working fine as is. Guess I'll just keep driving it and see if anything comes up.