View Single Post
Old 04-12-2020, 01:52 PM   #15
1976gmc20

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
Honestly if it was me I would go used if it all checks out good. I think that you have a safe 100k miles with only mild repairs ahead since the truck is only a few years old. The newer trucks seem to be really reliable for 200k or more.

I started stockpiling parts a few years ago since I can't see myself driving an auto truck. My neighbor has all autos so his wife can drive them and every time I work on them I am reminded how unhappy I would be. My driveway is 1/4 mile of hard packed gravel up a mountain and I can only get the jetta up for a couple of days after it rains so basically all the vehicles are 4x4. I really miss the compression breaking going down hill. The one auto we own always takes a lot of pedal to keep it from running away.
Thanks! I'm thinking that we will buy it if they still have it in a week (salesman said on the phone it's been there two months) and nothing horrible seems obviously wrong with it.

As far as automatic transmissions, I agree with you 1000% ! But since the purpose of this pickup is primarily travel with a place to sleep in back, we both need to be able to drive it. Actually we used to only have manuals and I thought she was trained fairly well but then I would happen to ride with her somewhere and she would do dumb stuff like not shifting down and when I said something she would get all upset

Sometimes when it is real slick, I just put the automatic in neutral going down our driveway because then the brakes don't have to fight the engine trying to go 20 mph at idle. It actually works better that way. Our driveway is about 1/8 mile, not too terrible steep except at the yard going up into the garage. But then it's another eight miles of dirt/gravel to get to anything sort of resembling pavement, and ten miles to a real highway.

My firewood pickup is a five speed manual Also my old 2wd GMC but it's not running right now. I'm still not sure if I'm going to fix it or find a good home for it.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote