View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 01:16 PM   #30
SB406
FORD is a 4 letter word.

Re: Who has Impala SS rear disc brakes ??

I'm pretty satisfied. My rear end was a '95. I finished off the Auburn Posi that came in it and found out it's not rebuildable. I put in a detroit true-trac instead. VERY happy with that.
The housing had ears cast into the center section which I trimmed & ground off. I then trimmed all of the steel mounting brackets off the tubes, Lined up spring perches, & welded em up. I've since added traction bars and a sway bar. No complaints. only thing was, the caprice housing was about 1"-1.5" narrower than the stocker. I centered it up in the truck & fixed the width issue with my wheel backspacing.
For the E-Brake cables (this is slick..)
I ordered new rear cables for the caprice which both route to the driver side instead of the "X" style setup which was original to the truck. I saved the brackets that hook the 2 cables together & support them to the frame from the caprice (same setup was used on late 80's chevy vans & MANY other applications). I hooked up the cables to the rear end, hooked them through the above mentioned brackets and ran the cable that needs to be pulled up under the frame rail toward the front. Wouldn't ya know, the stock cable on the truck from the pedal lined up within an inch of the caprice rears. Plus, the cable from the pedal has a 1/4" threaded section for adjustment! Almost like it was made to work.

This is tough to visualize and pics speak 1000, so I'll snap some pics at home tonight.

I get funny looks on the 12 bolt thing too, but I don't really care what other people think. I'm of the opinion that I'm the one driving it, so I'll build it the way I want. If someone else would have done it different, that's fine, they can go build one. By the way, I kept the 12 bolt just in case . Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
SB406 is offline   Reply With Quote