Thread: wiring HEI
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 01:34 AM   #6
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: wiring HEI

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post

There are a couple of ways to do this. Look at the picture below and you'll see a
cloth looking covered wire in the firewall block. It was originally a white/ orange/ purple wire and it comes from the key switch as a pink ignition wire. It joins a yellow wire that comes from the starter R terminal. This wire is a resistance wire that drops the battery voltage to the coil down to 9 volts to protect the coil from burning up during normal running. The yellow wire is a jumper to send a full 12 volts to the coil for a hotter spark while the starter is turning. This facilitates easier starts and after the starter kicks out the coil gets power from the resistor wire.

Name:  Firewallterminal 1.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  89.2 KB

Starter wiring.

Name:  man%20mount.jpg
Views: 1640
Size:  75.1 KB

Engine wiring diagram for the factory trucks, note the O/W/P
wire on the right side going to the coil from the firewall.

Name:  ChevyC101965-EngineHarness-COLOR.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  93.5 KB

You can split the firewall block and remove the O/W/P wire and run a new 12 gauge red wire to the HEI distributor to the BATT terminal, see the above diagram in my first post. Also look at the thread that PanelDeland posted, by SHIFTY.

OR
You can do what most guys do and just run a 12 gauge red wire from the fuse panel where it says HEI UNFUSED out to the HEI distributor to the BATT terminal. It tells you that at the bottom of the diagram I posted in my first post.

Did you see the link I posted under the diagram in my first post and click on it?.......... It's in the quoted part of this post.

I'll try to find Shifty's thread for the conversion to HEI.
Attached Images

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote