View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #52
Atlfan65

Re: Need Advice! Do I Need a New Camshaft????

Well it took a while to have the time to put everything back together. The cam ended up being okay. The issue I'm now having now is with the vacuum advance. I set the timing at 8° initial, 32° total by 3000 rpm. Engine is idling great at 20 in vacuum @700 rpm.

When I connected the vacuum advance to set that side of things, it jumped to 32° at idle (adding 24° of vacuum). That's a lot more than I have ever run before. It is an adjustable vacuum can so I tried adjusting it with the allen key, but it's giving 24° at idle regardless of how I adjust it. I've only seen vacuum cans fail with a broken diaphragm giving no advance, never where adjusting it does nothing with it still giving full advance. Am I pulling so much vacuum on a stock engine that it's giving so much advance regardless of how the adjustable vacuum can is tuned? Or is the vacuum can a dud? I'll be picking up a new vacuum can one of these days after work. Until then I'm running it disconnected. I've seen a list of stock GM vacuum can part numbers and their amount of advance on this forum somewhere... Now to just find it again....
Atlfan65 is offline   Reply With Quote