View Single Post
Old 04-02-2022, 09:34 PM   #124
BASE

Re: 1970 K20 Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20rookie View Post
Been a while since I posted any updates, but the project is slowly coming along. Took the SM465 and NP205 down to a transmission shop to have them rebuilt, and ran into a bit of a snag. The countershaft is cracked and needs to be replaced, but the mechanic told me he can't find the same countershaft that's in my SM465.

Basically he said the countershaft that's in there has some sort of rubber bushing and he can't find a replacement. I'll be going down there to look at what he's talking about, but it sounds like early SM465s (68-70) used a rubber damper.

My question is, can he just replace the countershaft with a newer style that doesn't have this rubber piece?
I can't remember what all goes into it, but there is a way to replace that rubber stuff I think. Seems like when I rebuilt mine I got a kit that put a solid spacer in there. I ended up having to replace a bunch of stuff for other reasons though.

I wish I could remember what the guys name is but he has a youtube video on rebuilding these and he addresses that somewhere in there. I just remember him being pretty adamant it shouldn't go back together without replacing that rubber damper.

'68 K10 496/465/205
BASE is offline   Reply With Quote