View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 09:24 PM   #170
nlped

Re: 1963 1/2 Ford Falcon aka Martha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I had this happen 20 years ago to a 521 cubic inch Cadillac in a 68 Nova I had at 5000 rpm getting on the freeway very quickly for fun. It took the crank, 6 of the 8 rods, pistons, cam, and block were destroyed. The heads were in all likelyhood trash since a few pistons hit them at speed, and lifted both heads up off the block. Intake manifold was a 1/4 out when warped. Plus punched holes in the oil pan.

The crank shoved into the trans cracking its pump, and locking it up. Sheared the pinion in my 8.2 rear-end, and twisted the driveshaft almost a full revolution.

Only thing useable was the water pump, carb, and accessories.

With all the carnage it was amazing no accidents happened as I bloodbathed 3 lanes of the 10 freeway at Temple City on ramp. I had like 8 quarts of oil in the engine, and something like 2 gallons of tranny fluid. With all the coolers, and lines I had. As I spun out doing like 2.5 complete turns ending up backwards in the slow lane mostly.
GeeZus!!! Makes me feel bad about my diatribe.

And, I would absolutely love to find a 4 door station wagon to restomod and drive as my daily.

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote