View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #31
gigamanx

Re: Beginner Build with Ambition gets some air ride suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
the bumpstop unbolts with a 14 (15?)mm, and will let the suspension collapse more than another inch because of the geometry of the arm. (and the bumpstop is more than an inch tall too). I take those bumpstops out even with 2" drop springs or they will jounce.

I havent ever used a cup kit on an s10 that wasnt upper and lower cups, yours is a lower plate, which I have seen guys just plate their lowers and run an upper cup when running 20" wheels and big tires to lay frame. not saying it wont work, I am just saying I have never used that style. you may need to cut the lower arm to clear your bag style, bolt the bag in and squish it down completely flat, no touching anywhere when compressed is the goal.

same with the upper pocket, no rubbing. what front bags are you running? the small firestones shouldnt need the spring pocket cut but everything else should need some trimming. there are things such as offset upper cups that push the bag away from the inner pocket, usually needed with big bags like RE/SS7s. those bags need a lot of spring pocket trimming.

the coil pocket is very deep, the stock coils are about 8 inches tall (compressed) when installed so if you take up an inch at the bottom, roughly 3 inches for a compressed bag, that still leaves a 4" tall upper cup, which it looks like you have.

it may feel like you are swimming in mud but keep your eye on the hard targets, get the tire where you want it when laid out, and make sure there is only a squished bag between upper cup and lower arm in your case.

since there is no "one size fits all" cup length for your particular "layed out height/tire size" you may have to put in, measure, take out, trim, put in, measure, take out, trim, etc several times until it fits exactly. over trimming the cup leaves extra volume in the bag and wastes lift with extra pressure.

a 2" drop spindle coupled with taking out the bumpstop (not dehumping) would put the running boards on the ground quite firmly, in my opinion.
Awesome info! ok, so one step at a time for me then.

Will take the bumpstop out. Didn't even think of geometry since the bump stop is further up the arm. I may get my 2" out just doing that.

I'm going to order cups. My issue with the plate I got is that its a weld in piece. It leaves a cavity under the plate for dirt and crap to end up in there. With cups, at least it can all be switched out and replaced if ever needed.

I'll keep y'all posted on how it goes!

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote