Thread: Crank no start
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 10:21 PM   #1
lutronjim

Crank no start

1st Happy Thanksgiving to all.

My 70 with ls will not start. Had this problem before and chased it to ignition switch. Well switch is 'bout 1 year old and seeing same problem.

When I turn switch to on and can hear the fuel pump cycle so I know computer is getting power. I also know that that when switch goes into start position it only sends power to coil and starter solenoid.

This was what was causing my original problem - computer is fed from fuse box and was not receiving power when key was in crank position. I also don't see light test when cranking.

When looking at wiring diagram, I see wire going to solenoid and then to coil. To keep solenoid from firing when switch is run position, I see another of the wires on the solenoid goes back to the switch and, I think, grounds when switch is in crank position. Thus enabling two power sources without a diode.

I want to be able to use truck until I can find a switch worth a damn. So I am think 'bout rigging a switch to supply power to computer and turning it on when I crank and then back off.

If anyone sees holes in my approach please let me know.

Also if anyone one knows of a good switch please let me know. The last I bought was Standard.

Thanks
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote