View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 08:45 AM   #1470
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

The new balancer is on and seems to be ok. I still have a little belt sqeal once in a while but not too bad. My son swapped valve covers for me while I was gone, but forgot to check that the gaskets were on them. I discovered that on a test drive. No leaks while idling but when you get on it the oil sprays more from the rockers and then runs down the side and back to the head. Without gaskets they leak a smidge and you trail a nice blue smoke like a crop duster.

Anyway, installed the gaskets and took it for another drive. Seems to be running pretty good but I could hear a knock from the driver side valve cover. You could feel it in the cover. Not like a rod knock. So before the next drive I started it up, knock still there, so I loosened the valve cover bolts and move it around a little and the noise went away when I pulled it forward. But when I retighten the bolts it came back, not as bad but still audible.

So more fiddling around is needed. But it drives good, power is definitely up from the 283. I don't like how it shifts now, way too early and soft, so that needs to be adjusted and I need to buy or fab up a new kickdown cable bracket (vortec intake and new EFI changed it). I need to get used to new sounds because the whole drive train has been in and out 2 or 3 times this summer and it's not the same now.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote