View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 02:06 AM   #42
SkidmoreGarage

Re: Skidmore '67 C20

Ok, that brings me up to where I am today, here's a list of what else has been happening:

The outer rocker has been a nightmare to fit. I have spent two afternoons just looking at it and trying to adjust the door. If you are the type of person who uses construction adhesive to put on your outer rocker (no judgement!), then the rockers I have would have been fine. Bend it and send it! But I was not happy with the fitment to the bottom of the door. The door stuck out like 1/4" from the rocker and the gap was huge. Compared to the drivers side (still factory), it looked like junk. I found that the issue is that the stamping (Triplus from Auto metal direct) has the bottom pinch weld seam too far from the inner rocker. When you butt them up, it pulls the rocker down. This seam is also crooked. I decided to take the plunge and start cutting. I put it on the bandsaw and took the pinch weld flange off, leaving enough material to pound flat to butt up with the inner rocker. I am now committed to shaving the pinch weld under the door, which I think looks better but will be way more work. I will leave the weep-holes, but stitch weld the rest of it up.

Had to switch to 5 lug front rotors, which necessitated new rotors, bearings, wheels, etc. I found out the hard way that all 1.25" thick HD rotor/brakes are not the same. 1/2 ton parts are 1/2 ton parts and 3/4 or 1 ton parts are their own thing. Nothing interchanges. I was planning to change my wheel stud pattern, but just not now. I am leaning towards picking up some wheels that match my rear but in the different bolt pattern. It is the cheapest way (~$300 total, cheaper than quality adapters) that I can see to get this thing driving while I wait for the next phase of my build. I don't want to change out my rear axle without upgrading, and I am not ready for that now. I also don't want to spend the money required to get the wheels that I want without a commitment to a bolt pattern (5x5, 5x4.75, 5x120...). The selection for mass produced 5x5 wheels isn't great. If you want nice 5x5 wheels, you pay the muscle car/mecum tax.

I also bought a high hump tunnel, it made sense to do it now before I prep the floor and install carpet. Should be a straightforward install.

I bought 4" lowering springs for the rear, new poly trailing arm busings, and a dana 60 to swap for my old rear end. I am waiting to turn the car around before starting this stuff. I am sure it will take a bit longer than I expect to do this job, as I will probably clean everything up and do some rust mitigation. I may just throw in the springs to get it moving again.

I also have a new rear bumper waiting to go on, but I need new bumper bolts. I want to replace the camper style bumper that is on there.

I also have a new steering wheel to complement the new carpet, bench seat, and overall interior refresh.

I also have a new windshield and gasket to replace my broken one when I pull it out to do rust repair around the windshield.

There is no shortage of work in the garage. I am trying to push through the outer rocker. I think I will feel a lot better when that is done.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote