View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #22
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Battery being drained

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambar56 View Post
Luvbowties, yup totally right lol thank you for that. Alright, I still can't pinpoint what is draining the battery though... I did buy that trickle charger though.
Okay. Polarity is correct. As mentioned above a fully charged battery should read 12 vdc or better.

With cables connected to the battery and the engine running at idle, place the meter leads as above + to + and - to -. You should get a reading of at least 13.5vdc-15vdc (be sure you have the meter setting at 20vdc or higher).

Now if these readings are correct, it just lets you know the battery is getting charged. The draining could still be caused by the alternator or other accessory draining it (read my similar problem below). It could even be a defective ignition switch.

One of my Rangers trucks has a similar problem. If I don't drive it for 2, 3 days battery goes totally dead. I can jumper it, drive around for 30 miles and it starts right back up.

Everything checked out but still wasn't sure if it was a weak battery so had it checked and it was okay. The first thing I disconnected was the radio and that fixed it. Somehow, it works fine but discharges the battery. I still haven't fixed the radio but I take the fuse out when I'm parking it for more than couple of days.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote