View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 01:22 AM   #1
Motorfist

292 Intake Port Questions

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your help. Even though I haven't met anyone from this forum in the real world, I've been lurking for years and have a lot of respect for the knowledge base here. I tend to ramble so feel free to skip a couple paragraphs...

My first vehicle was a 70 K10 that my father and I fixed up a bit when I was 15 and almost 35 years later I am looking to share that same nostalgic feeling with my sons. I am fairly capable "parts changer" as I call it and always wanting to be a decent mechanic. I've swapped a few motors but never actually rebuilt one myself and I am starting to get in to that stage. More on that for another day...

I am working on a put around truck which is a 68 c19 LWB with a 292, Rochester Monojet and sm465 trans. My younger son will drive this as we build a 72 k10 project starting later this summer. The truck has been parked for 3 years and I started it rarely since we've owned it as it wasn't road worthy when I bought it. I don't recall how long it sat before that. I "rebuilt" the carb and front end to get it road worthy and have put about 100 miles on it since. It runs but fairly crappy and that catches us up to today.

I checked the compression last week wanting to make sure I shouldn't just swap in another 350 before I started tune up efforts.

Cyl 1 - 125
2 - 130
3 - 130
4 - 135 (wet spark plug)
5 - 135
6 - 130

I was pleasantly surprised with that so I ordered the last bits I needed to do a HEI swap and also the Felrpo manifold gasket kit. I had noticed 1st, 2nd 5th and 6th bolts that hold the manifolds on were loose and the valve in the heat riser was stuck. Also the drivers side bolt that joins the manifolds at the heat riser was gone, assumed broke off. I have a spare parts truck with another 292 and planned to steal the exhaust manifold off of it as it looks to be in great shape.

I took the manifolds off the 68 today and was happy to find that the mentioned bolt was missing and not broke off and even happier to find that the was a broken bolt wedged against the weight on the heat riser. Once I removed that it moves just fine!

However I noticed that the 3rd/4th intake port was wet and the 5th/6th even more so. I am surprised to see this with the compression numbers as good as they are. Is this somewhat normal given all the above info and I should proceed with the tune up or is this cause for alarm?

72 K10 LWB Rust Bucket Hunting Truck
Motorfist is offline   Reply With Quote