View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #38
special-K
Special Order

Re: A noiseless Harley really .

I hear the dealers don't service Evos anymore. I wanted to replace my rear fender and wanted Harley sheet metal. I have a 1990 video tape of a worker at York doing the final buff before paint. I toured that factory around 95/96 and a robot took his job. Anyway, the fender I bought in '92 was about $125 and when I went to order one in about '10 they were $300+ and the guy said, "The sooner you let me know the better. It could take a while. They come from overseas". Well screw that. What that means to me is that is not a genuine Harley part that is coming from the same factory as Custom Chrome and all the others for half that much

Buyers aren't dying off, they have already evolved into the next generation. The old hard cores generally were not the new bike buyers anyway. When Shovels were new they rode Pans and knuckles. Evos came out and they were riding Shovels. By the mid-'90s is when you saw them riding new bikes. Look at what they sell now, factory customized bikes. for all the little Jesse James/OCC wannabes.

This electric bike only goes to show how Harley is good at changing with the times, same as when the V-rod came out. OMG! A liquid cooled Harley? What's the world coming to? That ain't no Harley. The exact same thing you'll be hearing about the Livewire < Sorry, the rolling eyes is required in order for me to type tat hokeyass name. How about Pigtail? A reference to the hog, it's an electrical term, and the old school riders with... ok, ponytail not pigtails. But what about appealing to all the lady riders? Now that is a whole new segment of customer base this conversation has failed to consider. The customer base is still there and going strong.

I'm with Kingsolver on why to ride Harley. It's an American survivor with a constant link to the beginnings or motorized transport when riding in fowl weather was not much better in an automobile and they had as much of a foot in it as did the cars.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote