View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 12:23 PM   #40
special-K
Special Order

Re: A noiseless Harley really .

That 10 year limit is probably about standard. They only want clean easy to work on stuff, even when it's still the current engine. It might depend on the owner's interests. My local dealership , at least used to be, is different. They are, or were, involved in drag racing, had a machine shop, and did engine building, as well as custom fab and would work on most any of them. Probably only the nice stuff worth good money. They also raced an XR750 flat track and worked on others.

I'm more concerned with mt safety these days. Mine needs some brake work and the one thing I never got to was upgrade the brakes to match the power (custom-built S&S 96"... by S&S). So it's been waiting for funds. I want dual discs up front, so lower legs, too. I want to do that even if I never ride it again. Because if this is my last bike (unless I get rich and can collect antiques to putt a little) I'll be hanging on to it just because. Can't imagine life w/o one.

I'm older and wiser and the general public is not. My only time going down was when I saw a carload of young fools haulin' butt toward this 20mph 90 degree turn I was approaching from the opposite way (road into town). As anticipated, like many other fools, they came straight at me at the curve heading for the cornfield. I swung wide so they'd shoot behind me (inches), my radius was screwed up, and I was foot down around the bend just off the pavement. There is an sloped asphalt driveway where I came to a stop. Problem was, my foot got kicked back by the edge of the driveway just as I was about stopped. So no foot to put down I did a static drop onto my elbow and trapped my leg under the bike that was on the uphill side. Very little damage to the bike, split my elbow open, and made me glad I avoided being t-boned.

I forgot to say in the last post, my friend's brother works at the York plant in final testing. He told me yesterday that Pigtail () has caused quite a stink with the workers. As you could figure, many work there because of their love for the Harley, enjoy the work, and take great pride. Many are demanding to not be put on building that bike, refusing to. How about that?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote