View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 11:41 PM   #18
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: What Tools Do I NEED?

hey man, I have an old snap on wooden body creeper you can have... I took it to the shop as a comunity type thing... but they won't use it, they insist on getting out everryone else's good creepers ($100 creepers) Mine has been getting locked up since one of the loosers ripped the headrest.
Anyways... I got you covered on a creeper.
Now, I may get flamed for this one, but... Harbod freight can save you some $$. There is one around the corner from here, and one up in your neck of the woods, but I don't know where. When walking through there tools, if you are interested in something, look at it, figure in your mind how it'll break. If it'll make you bleed when it goes, or kill something on your truck, then put it back. If it is a low stress tool that is seldom used, then go for it. I have a hand full of tools from there... and going by that mentality, NOTHING has bit me in the 12 bolt yet. I have a cut off wheel from there.. .a whopping 8 bucks, and it's been used 4 or 5 days each week, some times for hrs at a time, and it's been spinning for 4 years now. A lock plate depressor for later model GM columns... another 8 or 10 dollar piece... I had to modify it a bit, but it's lasted me 4 years also.
Pry bars? no... I saw a kid get cut up from them. Sockets, wrenches... no way. There impact sockets are OK if you have an old or low power impact, but for the high zoot new models (mine has over 700 pounds of torque) no way.
I agree about crafts man's screw drivers.. the see through handles ones are ok-ish. But, the money spent on the upgraded professional line is quite a bit better. However... look at the cost, and remember, they are both good forever. The professional line of rachets are cool... we have one on our service truck that is a few years old, and it feels nice, and works grerat. This may be right before there rachet quality went to the crapper though.
As for the box... a tote box like this;
will be needed for junk yard trips... plastic is much better than you'd think, but the handle will break off in a few years. The metal ones hold up, but they rust, and dent easily, plus the corners will snag your pants (or thigh) and rip them.
Tough call.
For the home box.. .this one is on sale right now;

Black tool boxes look better IMO, but the real cool part, the neighborhood punks won't see it in the dark corner of the garage when you are working with the door up in the summer, and if they don't see it, they are less likely to break in at night and rip you off.
This sucker is on sale right now too... http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...Cabinet+Combos for $429. This is a set up with the bearings on the drawers. VERY nice upgrade. Come by my work sometime and I'll show you what a PITA non bearing boxes are... we have a dude with a box from the 70's... no bearings, it sucks.
Tool carts are nice too, and can hold a tote box for now if you can't swing 500 bucks for a box, if you go this route, get onewith the frame work like this;

instead of this;

You can see the top one is WAY stronger than the second one. The top one will last you years and years... the second one... I'd say you'd only get 3 or 4 years out of it. 've seen ppl take the top shalf, flip it upside down, and bolt down a 3 or 4 drawer tote box on it, mobilize all the common tools you would use.
But, as you can see, it is real easy toi get carried away.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote