Thread: 84 c10 stepside
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #80
jpnh

Re: 84 c10 stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotte1 View Post
Jeff,
One other question on the aftermarket fenders. They are said to be one gauge thinner metal, is that very noticeable? Or any other effects from being thinner?

Thanks,
Les
i was gonna get my fenders thru Lmc they had one but not the fuel door side {i needed the one w/o the fuel door due to gastank relocation}they backordered it and couldnt say when theyd have more so i ended up dealing with classicparts.com they found me the other one for a couple hundred bucks both the lmc and the classic parts fenders had the same sticker on them that said made in taiwan like they came from the same place the aftermarket fenders dont fit right off the bat it took some drilling and swearing/grinding/pulling/pushing to make them fit. when i installed the new fenders i got a couple bed side bolts that did line up in there to hold the fender in place and then took a sharpie marked out wich holes needed to be modified some lined up some need some help the holes by the steps needed some help a bar that fits thru or a screw driver can help you line the holes up a little too but dont damage the threads of the nuts welded on the back side. its easy to screw up the threads on the bolts doing this too. the holes without the nuts welded on the back are where your fender braces bolt on rat tail file also helps or a grinder bit for the drill. remember where your fender braces go. i ordered my new braces and bolts thru Lmc an oem set of fenders will fit much better/easier guarenteed. availability is an issue. especially around my neck of the woods still useable/ local stuff like that rusted away already. are yours rusted through? as far as thickness goes the new aftermarket fenders werent that much thinner to make much of a difference.-jeff
jpnh is offline   Reply With Quote