View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #16
burnin oil

Re: K30 Downgrade to Cummins Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I like how people think a VE can't out tow a BBC. I have a very well used 89 6bt I'd put up against most BBC's. It'll get better mileage towing and can maintain hills without down shifting 2 times too. Been there, had both ford and chevy big blocks, wasn't impressed. And I highly doubt you will see any issues with the extra 400lbs of engine weight during getting the truck going unless you are in a soft field or on snow. The torque these make when you drop a clutch on them is pretty funny. Make sure your idle is set correctly and you'll be fine. The leaf springs will be the only thing I'd see worrying about the weight. And if you have the 4 leaf HD stock springs, they take the weight with no issue.

Jud, this will make a very nice hauler. That is a very nice truck to start with. Hopefully all the snow you guys keep getting doesn't delay the shipment too much. I agree the price of diesel is high. But, what will a 400hp 454 get hauling your trailer with 2 trucks on it? 6, maybe 8 if you are lucky? The worst I've gotten with any 5.9 I've had has been 9.5. That was towing a 36' triple axle enclosed trailer weighing 25,500# and running 75-80mph in 25-30mph winds. The guy running with us had a 8.1 and was lucky to ever get 6. Cost is a huge consideration in any swap and I won't argue that. So overall cost compared to the BBC already in your truck is a no brainer. But over all usage and being happy in the end, I can't see how the 5.9 won't do an over all better job.
I love 5.9s and have had a few. My 6.7 gets 7.5-9 MPG loaded with my max at 35k lbs gross. You do have to shift it on a hill. The 5500 does have a 6x4 trans with 4.44 gears. I keep an eye on all these swaps because the 72 will eventually get a 12v 6spd swap.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote