View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
ubtripn

What kind of jack and spare set-up do you carry?

I didn't have the original for my 68 so I bought a fairly new scissor jack from the junkyard and mounted it on a short piece of 4 X 4. Then I took the spare tire cable reel (don’t know the actual name of it is but it’s a box with a cable that winds down and up with a piece of metal that fits through the middle hole of the spare rim) off a 2000 something Chevy truck and mounted it under my bed. Instead of carrying the long pole that extends through a hole by the rear license plate I took out the PO’s air shock filler and inserted the rod through the hole and into the reel (welded it to the cable box) and then supported the rod halfway with a bearing support. On the end of the rod by my license plate I welded a lug nut the same size my truck uses. I have a flip-out lug wrench that fits my rims and this lug nut so all I have to do is take out the wrench, flip out the head to the right angle and lower my spare down like on modern trucks. I am not a purist with my 68 like I am my 66. This set-up is MUCH easier for me.

Anyway, what does everybody else do? Carry bottle-jacks, original jacks or what?
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote