View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
gokellurself

Re: Kell's Two Cents - 1946 build

My original plan was a low and slow, low budget build with a nice patina. This being my first build I didn't want to do anything too crazy, just wanted to get it up and running and ready for the street. Of course, with lack of experience and lack of the hot rod "vision" it's actually really tough to stick to a low budget build plan, and how quickly does the build plan evolve!

As I said, I was already working on a '46 so I had a couple parts gathered already. The first truck came with an original drop I-beam, so I knew I wanted to use that. A local hot rod builder highly suggested I go the S10 frame route, but I really wanted to build an OLD truck. I didn't want an S10 with an old face.

I stripped the truck and got right down to the frame. Very first thing I did was fix the broken frame horn it came with.

And at the same time started doing the CPP power steering kit that ends up bolting through the frame horn.

One note on the power steering kit is that it's built for 47+ trucks, and I think for 46- trucks it could use a higher mounting bracket. I got it as high as I could to try to have the steering link level and went with it.

Here's the truck down to bare frame

Last edited by gokellurself; 08-20-2017 at 02:08 PM.
gokellurself is offline   Reply With Quote