View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 03:39 PM   #12
72 Burb 3dr

Re: 71 C10 Daily "resto"

Update finally!

Finished installing the lowering kit and got the front end down. I'm liking the new ride height. Progress was delayed by that evil white stuff falling on the only days that my son-in-law can help. (Saturdays). We had beautiful weather this past Saturday, but had a slight delay due to ruining the seal on the driver's side lower ball joint. Replaced it and finished the front end, but didn't get the rear shocks done due to running out of time.

Easter Sunday we had beautiful weather again so we finished off the rear shock mounts and wrapped up the rear end. Done! Even though it started out Sunny and warm, the wind blew in some rain clouds that then turned into more evil white stuff before we finished.

Overall, I'm happy with the ECE kit - with one exception. I chose the upgrade option for the shocks going with the Gas-A-Just shocks instead of the basic ones normally in the kit. The front ones went in with no issues. The rear ones would not mount on the provided bolts for the lower mount. This is due to the bushing sleeve in the shock.

I don't have the specialty tool for removing it so I had to improvise. The bolt trick didn't work, the socket trick ended up pushing out the entire rubber bushing with the metal sleeve still in it. In the end what we did was heating up the inside of the sleeve and driving a small screwdriver between the rubber and the sleeve - all the way around. I've had to remove the sleeves before on other vehicles, but they were all pretty easy in comparison. I'm not sure why the KYBs were so problematic.
Attached Images

72 Burb 3dr is offline   Reply With Quote