View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 04:24 AM   #133
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckfan View Post
subscribed. makes me feel worthless w/ mine little pansy projects
Hey, this project is nothing more than a whole bunch of little projects taken on simultaneously. You can probably drive yours between the projects whereas I had to wait to get them all done. To be honest, I am really enjoying the small projects now--something here or something there or "I think I will just drive it today instead of working on it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHaulR View Post
Now that you fixed the pump and turned it up. What is you mpg? I'm looking at doing the same swap in mine. For the gears, i was thinking of keeping my 4:10, just for the fact i run 18x39.5x16.5's. That might off set the rpm's.
As far as the mileage goes, I am in the middle of a testing phase right now. I got the "Drive it like you stole it" mileage and I am working on the more realistic mileage now. I plan to fuel it after work on Wed, so check back in a few days and I should have your info.

As far as the gears go, yes the tires will offset the gears nicely. The tires I have are only 32" tall, so I am at a disadvantage there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
NO KIDDING! That suburban is a BEAST!
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwall-burb View Post
Very cool story and truck.
Thank you!!

Quote:
I've actually been watching Trucks on Powerblock TV lately as they are putting a similar Cummins in a late 70s Ford Crew Cab. Different truck but same problems with the manifold and turbo fitment etc.
They should have read this thread first....

Quote:
Anyhow I've been looking for a 3/4 or 1 Ton Longbed 4x4 to do the same with so great to learn from your notes.
Use at your own risk*.

Quote:
If you haven't made your mind up yet on wheels I saw a 72 longbed 3/4 ton 4x4 truck the other day with a set of factory OEM Hummer Wheels on it that looked pretty tough. I attached a picture of the style. the basically ran these with the factory 8 lug center caps from a late 80s style truck and it looked pretty nice. Like it was made to be that way.

Yeah, a buddy of mine had those on his Sub and they look real nice. I like them, and probably would have gone that way if I did not have so many of these tires hanging around. But being that I went this way, I have really grown to like the stockers I have on there now. Nothing flashy, but cool just the same--kind of unique anymore as everyone has put something "cooler" on their trucks. I am actually picking up a set of tall skinny mud tires to go on another set of these wheels, so I can have the off-road tires and keep my old-man hubcaps.