View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
cwindham

Battery Issue - 85 Silverado

Hey Guys,

I have an issue connecting a battery to my truck. I had an old battery in it and I would have to jump start it b/c I am not driving it everyday. So I am thinking the battery is just old and I need a new one. I had no issues though, throw a jump on it and it would start right up. Well My pops had a new battery and I put it in there. Well I try to hook my negative to it and it constantly sparks. I didnt even notice it at first and I was wrenching it down and smoke starting coming up from the driver side panel (inside the hood not ineterior) so I hurried up and took it off b/c it was burning something up. So pops came over tapped the negative to the battery and noticed the constant spark and told me it could be one of two things... solenoid switch is sticking or starter is.

(keep in mind I am not engine literate so I am new to this)

I do not want to question him (hes a mechanic since birth type ) but I just wanted to get some input from you guys as well. I just dont understand how it would be fine with the old battery then when I put a new one in and it would start this mess.

So if anyone can throw some knowledge this way I would appreciate it. btw it is a 1985 chevy silverado c/10

Thanks