View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #28
Psycho71

Re: suburban regency conversion

Regency built some nice stuff. In the mid-80's I worked for Ivory Coach Conversions. We had the top rated conversion van for two years in a row, and were always in the top five. It is amazing, all that goes into building a true conversion van. We had our own wood and fabric shop on site. So changes, custom items, pretty much anything, was able to be realized right there in short order. Kinda funny, the assembly line and QC area was all Texans, the woodshop was all Cajuns, and the fabric shop was all Vietnamese workers. Made for some very interesting confrontations at times! And there was no funner job than pulling a brand new van into my shop and taking an air chisel and nibbler to it, cutting huge holes in it for toppers & windows and such.

Later, after Ivory Coach sold out, I worked for the new owners who got into doing trucks and burbs. I always hated the trucks they built. Just a bunch of bolt-on parts that sucked. The burbs were kind of a cross between getting the full van treatment, and a lot of the bolt-on stuff the trucks got. Some nice burbs came out of the shop though.

I wish I could find a burb being parted out with a nice overhead console like the one pic'd above. I'd scoop it up in a heartbeat. The burbs just have too much ceiling area not to have better use made of it. The consoles built in them in the 80's might not have made the best use of the ocean of ceiling, but they did at least break up the HUGE flat area of nothing overhead. As for all the wood accents on the doors, dash, etc, it's kinda lost on me. Nice looking stuff, no doubt. just not my style.

Having been in the industry, I have a true appreciation for the older conversion vehicles out there. Even the most basic. But some of them had some really awesome stuff in them, awesome for the era anyway.

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote