View Single Post
Old 08-09-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
DT1

Re: Restore/Repaint 1971 Lower Side Molding

Hi, and welcome. It's great to see younger folk interested in these trucks. I'm currently restoring a 72 with my 15 YO Grandson. The trim can be cleaned up and repainted but it's not a very easy task, but it's well worth the effort. The original stuff has a clear anodizing that will have to be removed before you start buffing it up. You can strip it with of solution of Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) and water. The lye can be got from EBAY. Some guys on this board have used other stuff like Greased Lightning or EZ-OFF oven cleaner but I've not had good results with it. I use a red Scotch Brite pad with my solution. A little scrubbing will completely strip the anodizing off. To buff it out, I stack three Scotch Bright pads that I cut into 6 inch diameter disks and stack together. This takes the heavy scratches off and puts an even sheen on it. I change to a denim buffing wheel and cutting compound to bring back the shine. You can use just about any black paint followed up with a clear coat. I use SEM Trim black and a good automotive clear coat. These pictures are from my 71 that was done a few years ago and the trim still looks a good as new. You may PM me if you need more detail. Good luck!

DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote