View Single Post
Old 04-09-2024, 12:20 AM   #64
dmjlambert

Re: Proportioning Valve Keeps Tripping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I once had a pressure bleeder kit and never could make it work right. But it was great for making a mess!

How about old fashioned manual bleeding? That's where a helper does "pump, pump, pump, hold" and then you open the bleeder screw. Then you close the screw and repeat the process until there are no more bubbles. If you get very little fluid out the wheel cylinders using that method, then I give up.

I've also used a MityVac, which works fine, but as mentioned a couple times in this thread, it will suck in air past the bleeder screw nipple. Makes it look like there's air in the lines when there's not -- or probably not.
I agree with regular manual bleeding is best, it's just simple. I tend to use the one-man method that does not require a helper. It is where you put the hose at the bottom of a jar that has some brake fluid in it, and open the bleeder. Then once that little bit of air is pumped out of the hose by brake pedal action, no more air can be sucked back into the system. Pump the brakes gently and slowly until you mostly fill the jar, and replenish the MC periodically. Then close the bleeder before removing the hose. O'Reilly auto parts have one-man bleeder kits, but it is also OK to just use a coffee can and submerse the end of the hose. If you think you're getting any air past the bleeder threads, you can remove the bleeder and put a little chapstick on the threads, and re-insert the bleeder screw.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote